- Please check with your local council or water authority for any water restrictions
- New turf should be given a good soaking immediately after laying. TIP Place some plastic containers around the new lawn and make sure you have at least 2 cm of water in each after watering.
- Water daily for the first 2 weeks, then every 2-4 days for a further 2 weeks. Weekly for a further 2 weeks.
- Never let your lawn dry out in the first 2 weeks after laying
- Early morning is the best time for watering, avoiding evaporation
- Do not water in the evening during humid weather as this can promote fungal problems in all grasses
- Infrequent deep watering is preferable to frequent light watering (except for newly laid turf) as it promotes a deep root structure that can utilize the moisture reserves in the soil.
- Feed the lawn with a slow release organic fertilizer during the growing season every 6-8 weeks after 4 weeks
- Early autumn fertilizing is important to keep your lawn healthy through the cooler winter season and help it retain it’s best colour
- A little bit often is better than a lot at once. Over fertilizing is expensive and can cause burning, fungus diseases or unnecessary mowing.
- Spread fertiliser evenly, preferably using a fertiliser spreader. Follow up with a good, deep watering.
- Top dressing is only necessary to correct any unevenness in the lawn. It is better to de-thatch the lawn in spring followed by fertilizing and watering to promote new leaf growth.
- Ask Tenderlawn for the Spearhead specially blended fertilisers
- Newly established lawns may be mown in 3 or 4 weeks, only if turf can not be lifted from the soil
- Aim to cut no more than 1/3 of the length of the grass in each cut
- Clippings may be left on lawn if following the 1/3 length rule (good nitrogen) otherwise remove
- Do not cut grass too short, this can cause your lawn to dry out or burn-off
- When it is wet try to avoid mowing your lawn as this can result in an uneven cut
- Avoid mowing your lawn when it is very hot
- Mow in different directions as this prevents the grass curving in the same way after a number of cuts
- Remove all clippings after mowing
- Keep your lawnmower blades sharp and well maintained